Friday, May 21, 2010

Premature Burial

A few days ago, all Twitter was aglow with the information that Harlan Ellison had died.

Last night, I received email that Normal Spinrad had died during an operation.

As it happens, Harlan is very much alive, and Norman survived his operation perfectly well.

So there seems to be a "prankster" working the science fiction social networks. I put "prankster" in quotes because, speaking only for myself, I think pranks should actually be funny, and if possible witty and imaginative, and these aren't. These are just, I dunno, dumb. If I were an Internet prankster, I could think of scads of pranks that would be a lot more intelligent and funny than these.

So if you hear that some well-known science fiction writer has died, please check with a third party before reposting. Thank you.

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Ken Houghton said...

Ah! NOW I understand the ire over the Spinrad rumor (which I originally took as just a mishearing of someone who heard he was having stomach cancer surgery yesterday).

Error is one thing; malice quite another.

The "only" reported current death at sff.net is Rod Serling's older brother. However, Frank Frazetta and Generalissimo Francisco Franco remain dead.

1:59 PM  
Blogger Ralf the Dog said...

I am glad to know that you and the others are fine. I thought it was strange a large air crash at a Taos resort would not make the news. It is sick that people would start that kind of rumor.

Question, is starting a rumor that a rumor exists sick?

3:15 PM  
Blogger Oz said...

And I saw a tweet that Snow Bear was buried by an avalanche and completely destroyed, thereby eliminating my need to finish writing my submission.

You're on twitter? Who knew.

Oz

4:27 PM  
Blogger Dave Bishop said...

To spread such rumours is not only sick but rather pointless. Both authors are well known for being outspoken, and have probably made enemies as a result, but how does anyone gain by claiming that they're dead? I suppose that it just comes down to childish spite.

3:34 AM  
Blogger The Great and Powerful Oz said...

Lime Jello was a funny prank.

Putting "Bob Tucker slept here" signs on every hotel room door except his was a funny prank.

Spreading rumors that famous, but no longer young authors have died is not a funny prank.

2:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home