Sunday, November 16, 2008

Meet Little Nemo



Meet the latest member of our family.
I don't think his name is Nemo (though it might be). I'm calling him Nemo for the moment because I haven't figured out what his real name is.
I'm very bad at naming animals. Usually my friends do it, or Kathy.
Maybe you will come up with the appropriate name. Suggestions will be gratefully received.
I've been thinking about getting a kitten ever since Sandman died in June, but I thought I'd wait until my life had settled down. At present my life is as settled as it ever gets, and here there was this half-grown stray that started hanging around Kathy's Socorro digs. Kathy moved him up to the Big House, and he's been making life interesting for our other cats ever since.
He's a green-eyed short-haired orange tabby, making him something of a visual analog to our long-haired orange tabby Topaz. The first day all he did was chase our other cats around--- seeing Topaz, who is three or four times Nemo's size, scuttling away from the invader was amusing for us, if not for Topaz.
Nemo has small eyes and small paws, which leads me to think he won't be getting much bigger. At certain attitudes he looks more like a stuffed toy than a live animal.
Things seem to have settled down in the meantime. Truces have been established, except at feeding time, when the other cats have to explain to Nemo the concept of my food vs. your food. All with a little help from me, of course.

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Oz said...

Definitely NOT Nemo. All paws seem to be fully grown. But a name from one of your books? Something slightly villainous? Mischievous? Alien?

Short-haired domestic orange male cats often have very laid back temperaments. Best cat I ever had, Osbert (Oz), was one.

And I took his name.

5:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't mind Nemo at all. But Rufus (for rufous? reddish?) popped into my mind when I looked at his picture.

I'm notoriously unimaginative at animal names. As a kid I named my horse Blackie and my dog, honest to god, Lassie. And I wanted to call our resident raccoon patriarch Stripey until Zach stepped in and vetoed that, dubbing him Steve. Zach is also responsible for our cat's name: Xerxes. It's impressive but deceptive, for not only is Xx not Persian, but never was a cat less imperial.

Whatever you call him, yours is an adorable little cat. Congratulations on the new member of the household.

6:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seamus O'Leary.

That's where my money's at.

7:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

With those ears? Radar.

9:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Has it occurred to you that your new cat may be possessed by some sort of demon or infernal being? His pretty green eyes may look normal, but check out their reflection on the floor: twin diabolical glows.

11:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Small, chasing larger things? Mongoose.

5:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I vote for Little Buddy. He looks like a little buddy to me.

12:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dinkum, because he's a fair dinkum cat.

1:43 AM  
Blogger halojones-fan said...

SPARTAAAAAA!!

12:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I often use to say that one of my few strong talents is that I can always find the right name for any ferret. Because it is, at least for mine.
Don't know if it works for cats.

Ranger.

No specific reason. It just popped up after a second or two.

1:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home