Friday, May 15, 2009

Pamukkale


Pictures of the famous travertines of Pamukkale.
These small ponds are natural mineral formations. They're only a couple inches deep, which made me wonder why they're so darned blue, as well as why the shade of blue is a distinctive turquoise.


I remember that last year in Canada we saw a number of glacier lakes that were turned turquoise by "stone flour" finely ground by glaciers, and I wonder if the mineral springs that bubble out here have a similar quality.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Rebecca S. said...

Wow. It looks a bit like the Mammoth Hot Springs formation in Yellowstone. But different, and very cool. And swimming among the ruins of old Hierapolis looked pretty damn cool, too.

10:04 AM  
Blogger dubjay said...

You're the second person to mention Mammoth Hot Springs to me in 24 hours. So I should definitely check that out.

4:07 PM  
Blogger Ralf the Dog said...

Sorry for the off topic post. I was just browsing Amazon for my favorate authors. I just found out many of your short stories are now available for download on Kindle.

http://www.amazon.com/s/qid=1242512305/ref=sr_pg_1?ie=UTF8&rs=133140011&keywords=walter%20williams&bbn=133140011&rh=n%3A133140011%2Cn%3A!133141011%2Ck%3Awalter%20williams&page=1

Some of the books listed here are not from you. My thought is if lots of us buy your shorts (They are cheep) Your publishers may start putting some of your old books on Kindle.

4:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home