Thursday, June 08, 2006

Searching for Vim

This weekend, I participated as a judge in the tests of 133 candidates for black belt in the American Kenpo Karate Academy. Candidates had come from all over the country for this twice-yearly event.

Some had come from sea level to test at 7000 feet on a hot, dusty mountain meadow. We started the testing early in the morning when it was cooler, but by the end of the day it was approaching 100 degrees. So what I saw among the candidates was not only skill, but grit and determination, fighting through their own exhaustion and physical weakness to achieve their goal.

Due to last year's surgeries, my own physical abilities are somewhat compromised--- temporarily, I trust. But there was nothing like watching the skill of my peers to inspire me to my own further efforts.

But unfortunately someone on the mountdain had a virus, and now I've got a cold. It's the second cold in two months, and if I had any energy I'd be angry about it. But I am utterly without vim, and all I've managed for the last several days is to sit in front of the tube and watch videos.

Damn, I hate to waste inspiration this way.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Feel better, big man.

7:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can download it here:

http://www.vim.org/download.php

12:34 PM  
Blogger dubjay said...

I had a reasonably restful night and felt a modest amount of vim (thanks for the download, Mike) on rising. An hour of necessary yard work put an end to that, however.

I don't know whether it was the dust or something else, but afterward all I could do was cough for about an hour.

I think I am overdrawn at the vim bank.

1:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home