Sunday, September 10, 2006

Be In My Book!

The online auction to benefit the Clarion Foundation begins today.

Clarion is, of course, the premiere workshop in fantasy and science fiction. The proceeds from the auction will benefit the workshop. Please drop by, spend money, and come home with nifty items.

I know I want Howard Waldrop, in his Peter Lorre voice, answering my phone while I'm away! Just as I know I want Karen Joy Fowler's Jane Austen Emergency Kit! And these are only two of the deeply cool items available.

I'm donating two items my ownself. One is an original manuscript of my last novel, Conventions of War. This is not the final version of the published novel, but an earlier version, somewhat longer, and with some sections of the novel in a different order. This is the only copy of this version of the novel--- there isn't even an electronic backup copy.

The ms. features light editing in pencil by Harper editor Diana Gill. The manuscript is also somewhat battered, having fallen from a shelf in my office. While I do not believe there are actual footprints on the pages, I would be willing to step on the manuscript if the purchaser wanted me to.

My second auction item is the exciting opportunity to have a character with your name appear in my next book, Implied Spaces. Purchasers should be aware that the character bearing your name may not have the best moral character, and may die horribly.

If you don't want to be in my book, you can be in Kate Wilhelm's, or in stories by Jim Kelly or Kelly Link. (And who, I ask you, wouldn't want to be in all four?)

Check out the Clarion Auction Page, and give the gift that keeps on making new SF writers!

3 Comments:

Blogger Responsible Artist said...

I wish I could bid on stuff (can't because o. eBay regs).
I've always wanted to be the kind of woman men wrote about in sonnets and whatnot, but the only time I've ever gotten to be in someone's book was when Damon Knight wrote about a character who was "...shorter, white-haried, and more or less egg-shaped."

12:11 AM  
Blogger dubjay said...

Jeez, R.A. What did you do to piss Damon off?

I would write a sonnet about you, but I fear it would be unintentionally comic.

Shall we have a sonnet contest? Post your efforts here!

1:01 PM  
Blogger Responsible Artist said...

I like the idea of the sonnet-off.

I dunno about Damon. Maybe it was the time I had him lie flat on his back so I could try to lift him from the ground by using my teeth on his belt (Something I read about in a book of 101 Fun Things To Amuse Your Friends). Also, he didn't think I'd ever read it.

RA:)

11:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home