Sunday, April 01, 2007

Sky Glow











Why New Mexico?

Here are four colorful reasons.

We had a storm pass through the other night, darkening the sky to near-black. Then the setting sun broke through the cloud cover to the West and set the whole Eastern horizon ablaze.

Here are some rather inadequate pictures.

Today, Palm Sunday, we passed a group of pilgrims carrying the statue of the Virgin of Guadalupe to her home in the Nuestra Senora de Guadalupe church.

I'm not a Catholic, but I think these local traditions are still pretty cool.

4 Comments:

Blogger S.M. Stirling said...

Yeah, those kitsch paintings of our skies are actually sorta realistic... 8-).

4:54 AM  
Blogger PureDoxyk said...

I moved from Michigan to Santa Fe for two years, and then moved back. And NOBODY believes me when I tell them that New Mexico's skies are absolutely unique and amazing in a way that the most gorgeous Michigan day just can't touch. Especially the evening lightning storms over the mountains. ::swoon::

We have very nice forests in Michigan (where they still are, that is). Great creeks and swamps and rivers, too. And the sky is pretty good, I'm sure...as long as you've never been to NM. Me, I'm ruined. ;)

(If the other commenter means the kitchy Dale Turbush paintings, I totally agree. I used to hate them. Now I have a few in my drawer for when I want to remember Santa Fe!)

10:39 AM  
Blogger dubjay said...

The only skies I've seen that can compare with New Mexico skies are Greek skies. There is a similar clear quality to the light, and of course the terrain looks similar, with olive trees substituting for pinon.

If only New Mexico also had the Aegean . . .

4:52 PM  
Blogger Foxessa said...

Spain ....

Love, C.

6:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home