Friday, August 22, 2008

Better Than The Olympics


I was never one of those fancy-dancy martial artists. I never did "float like a butterfly, sting like a bee." I was more "punch like a piledriver, kick like an ox." Instead of dancing around, I'd just make some subtle adjustments and then--- hey, it's steamrolling time, baby!

Every so often I'd have to spar with one of those welterweights who danced around and never came close just cuz, y'know, I outweighed him by eighty pounds or something.

So that's one reason why I find this video so satisfying.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

ok, I think I can see the appeal...

Oz

7:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

All of my teachers would love this. They're big fans of relaxed, efficient movement.



Mark Wise
vandegraaf@earthlink.net

4:44 AM  
Blogger halojones-fan said...

I dunno. Looks more like a joke routine to me, unless that was Dancing Guy's first fight ever in his entire life.

10:36 AM  
Blogger S.M. Stirling said...

Shows you that "dojo ballerina" don't cut it.

In the prehistoric era in which I was a practicing martial artist, I saw similar things happen.

People tend to forget that the whole thing is about precise application of force to a vulnerable spot.

Everything else has worth only if it aids in that, or frustrates the other person's attempt to do unto you.

Make no movements that don't either attack or defend.

9:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LMAO!
That was a lot of fun! Reminds me of one of my teachers used to say. 'First learn to hit hard, then learn to be fast, then learn technique'. Or the baiji answer to everyhing: hit very very hard.

1:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope this doesn't affect your enjoyment, but according to several sites, this is a scene from the forgettable movie NEVER BACK DOWN.

12:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home