Friday, August 14, 2009

Serious: the New Black?

One of the things I sensed about Worldcon was a longing on the part of the fans for seriousness.

The program items featuring Paul Krugman were packed. Panels on political subjects were well-attended. A panel on the Drake Equation did well. Panels on social media were full--- but then you'd expect that, with everyone networked and urging their Twitter-friends to show up.

But even the philosophy panels were full!

Is high seriousness the hidden secret of the Montreal Worldcon? I suspect that it is.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Ralf the Dog said...

Did they talk about the old Drake Equations or the Modified Drake Equations. The Modified Drake Equations ARE the new black.

While I like how simple the old equations were, I like the fact that the new ones all but prove the aliens are everywhere including the one that just purchased the house down the street.

5:06 PM  
Blogger dubjay said...

I wasn't actually present at the Drake Equation panel, I just heard about it from someone who was.

The equation is neat, I guess, but I have to wonder how much it means when the value of every single value is unknown.

3:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home