Thursday, February 18, 2010

All About the Rocks


I've been enjoying the Winter Olympics quite a bit. Where else can you hear people intone sentences like, "Right now, you're looking at the future of curling!"

Despite, or perhaps because of its absurdity, I've gradually become fascinated by the sport. It's cool, it's got strategy, and for a sport that's all about control, it still features players heaving great big chunks of granite at targets very, very far away.

It's sort of like lawn bowling on ice. And I happen to be pretty good at lawn sports.

I grew up in Duluth, which had its Curling Club that dated back to the 1890s. I don't think I ever actually saw the sport played in Minnesota, however. (The Duluth Curling Club is where the 2010 US Olympic team trained, not that it seems to have helped them much.)

I think I could totally be an asset, here. I mean, I could bring my own broom and everything.

And when all is said and done, what other Olympic sport could I actually play well? (I just don't see myself taking up speed skating right now.)

But I live in New Mexico, where arcane Scottish winter sports seem to be thin on the ground. I think there's only one skating rink left in Albuquerque, which is a good many miles away. And a quick google search shows no curling leagues available.

I guess I'll have to postpone my dream of heaving big rocks on ice. And in the meantime, I'll just work on that broomstick kata.

Labels: ,

11 Comments:

Anonymous Steve said...

Too weird. I too grew up in Duluth (Proctor)and currently live in Albuquerque. I came home from work today and actually googled "Albuquerque curling club".

This blog was the only thing close to a match, funny stuff.

6:10 PM  
Blogger dubjay said...

Whereas "Albuquerque curling club" just draws a blank.

9:12 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Walter, any time you want to take up broom sports, there's a whole carport and garage that could use sweeping out. :-)

Yr. wife Kathy

8:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i would love to some curling. the outpost arena has two lanes that is all i know

9:51 AM  
Blogger kat said...

Despite the fact that I have no real idea what they're doing, or why anyone would do it, I find curling oddly hypnotic It's something about those close-ups of a little round thingy whirling across the ice surrounded by frantically sweeping brooms. I could watch it for hours.

And I believe one of the curlers this year is the second woman ever to participate in the Olympics while pregnant, which surely counts for something. What, I have no idea....

11:08 AM  
Anonymous Saladin said...

I think this is the year curling breaks into the mainstream. :P It's amazing how much I've been hearing people talk about it. Like kat, my wife -- who doesn't give a damn about sports in general -- was HYPNOTIZED by it.

2:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

lets start a club in albuquerque!

2:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're from the Norwegian Riveria? I shoulda known. Long winters breed good writers.

Shash

3:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you all do decide to start a club in ABQ I'd be interested in cheering it on if not actually participating. . . not sure you can get enough guys together much less gals :-( Too bad though . . .I think the extensive coverage in the Olympics might just spark alot of interest nationwide.
Michal

10:24 PM  
Blogger dubjay said...

One of the announcers mentioned that the curling stones cost on the order of $1000 each, and each team needs eight of them . . . it's more than I want to spend for a hobby right now, especially when I already have too many hobbies that cost money.

12:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I checked it out online and the lowest cost rock was 450. and you have to apply with the usa curling association...anyone know someone at the Outpost ice area...they have two lanes for curling

5:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home