Friday, April 16, 2010

Come Up the Mountain


Y'know, yesterday was one of those days when it occurred to me that I might just be a good teacher.

I got an email from my sometime student Saladin Ahmed (Taos Toolbox 2007) that he's just got an agent. This is on top of an amazing few weeks: a Nebula nomination, a Campbell nomination for best new writer, and becoming father to twins.

Not to take away from Saladin's considerable talent, but I'd like to give myself a certain amount of credit for all that (except, of course, for the twins).

Plus of course Will McIntosh (Taos Toolbox 2008) is also up for a Nebula, and Ian Tregillis (Clarion 2005) had his first novel published just this week.

So here's my pitch: if you're serious about becoming a writer of this stuff, you should come to Taos Toolbox. You've got till May 1 to get your application in, and there is currently room for you.

Cuz I really know what I'm talking about when it comes to writing and selling science fiction and fantasy, and so do my fellow instructors Nancy Kress, and Carrie Vaughn.
You're either serious about this or not. You're on the mountain or off the mountain.

Come up the mountain, and you'll kick literary butt all the way down.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger The Great and Powerful Oz said...

I would probably be more interested in having as a teacher of American Kenpo Karate than writing. I have more interest in it than in becoming a writer.

1:25 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

4:09 AM  
Blogger Lou said...

I'm a-coming! I hope! I sent my manuscript to you today. Please let me know if it doesn't get there by Saturday.

Thanks!

Lou

Lou Berger
(Denver, Colorado)

5:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home