Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Ten Atmospheres

When I was learning scuba, I was being forever warned about the kind of stuff that many atmospheres of water pressure could do to you.

Mythbusters had an episode that illustrated this very nicely, and Carrie kindly pointed out the relevant video on YouTube.

They stuffed a dead pig in a hardhat diving suit, dropped it to 100 meters depth, then drained the air pressure from the suit, subjecting Mr. Porker to 10 whole atmospheres of pressure.

The entire pig was shoved up into the diving helmet, and then the helmet caved in. Much blood ensued.

I should issue a gore warning here. Otherwise, enjoy!

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Lance Larka said...

In my lab when I train new employees I tell them the most dangerous thing in the whole lab is the compressed gas (argon or helium) cylinder strapped to the bench. Why? Because it might fall over and crush their foot.

Of course I set the regulator at 25 PSI usually. The Compressed Pig test was over 1400 PSI. A whole different animal altogether.

As an aside I tell them the next most dangerous thing in the lab is them after 3 months when they think they know what they're doing.

5:17 PM  
Blogger EFKelley said...

Brilliant episode. Absolutely loved that one.

6:50 PM  
Blogger The Great and Powerful Oz said...

Isn't that also about the point where oxygen toxicity becomes acutely dangerous as well?

2:17 AM  
Blogger Bruce said...

Is that how they get Spam in the can?

4:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home