Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Cold Weather Cuisine

I'm getting sick of Thanksgiving leftovers, which are far from exhausted. I had errands today, and it was a brisk cold winter morning, and that put me in mind of a local treat.

So I went to a nearby restaurant and ordered a big heapin' bowl of menudo. Which, for those uninitiated among you, is cow's stomach chopped up and simmered in a red chile broth, served with sides of chile flakes, chopped onion, tangy Mexican oregano, and sliced lemon (which I put in my tea).

Warm, hearty peasant cooking, just right for a cold winter's day. It really hit the spot.

Around here we have a saying, "Menudo pera los crudos," menudo for the hangover. I haven't tried menudo for that reason, since I don't get hangovers since I stopped drinking cheap booze, but I know people who swear by it. Cow's stomach just sops those toxins right up, apparently.

In my case, what was hanging over was Thanksgiving. And now I'm cured.

2 Comments:

Blogger Frederick Paul Kiesche III said...

I've tried it. Maybe because it was in a can, maybe because it wasn't from scratch, who knows...but I was...unimpressed!

11:14 AM  
Blogger dubjay said...

Menuda is one of those dishes that can go wrong real fast, assuming it was ever right in the first place.

There are worse things than a bowl of bad menudo. Needles (the town, not the hardware), waterboarding . . . maybe bad snails.

But when you're in the mood for menudo, a personal restaurant recommendation is necessary. So let me say that if you're ever in Albuquerque, get your menudo at Garcia's. It's the best.

2:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home