Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Not Girly In Singapore!


This Is Not a Game has garnered a great review from the Straits Times, Singapore's foremost newspaper!
While all of this is interesting, without strong characters and an engaging plot, This is Not a Game would be nothing but another bit of 'fan fiction' about the joys of living online.
Instead, Williams' novel is punchy, tightly plotted – very tightly with a strong twist or two – and entertaining. There's a enough action and global drama to keep any thriller lover happy.
While it's not a particularly 'girly' book, the character of Dagmar ensures a strong female focus which mean readers of both sexes with enjoy This is Not a Game.
Like other speculative fiction authors before him, most notably William Gibson, Williams has managed to take what is happening now, wrap it in imagination and offer us a look at the future.
There you have it--- not only is it a great book, now it's officially Not Girly!
Meanwhile--- or perhaps even simultaneously--- Paul Stotts over at Blood of the Muse has even more to say!
This Is Not a Game is a compelling mystery, one that threateningly demands—like a militant nun, ruler in hand, your knuckles spread before her—for you to continue, to finish. Stopping, it’s not an option. It’s not even a thought. You turn the pages of the book not just to get answers, but to get the questions, also. And neither disappoint. There is no letdown, no clumsy resolution, no descent into lameness. Everything works, the story coming together beautifully like a well-played game of chess, Williams maneuvering the reader, skillfully. Like a pawn. A very happy pawn.

The novel feels fresh, new, totally unique. Something completely different from the tired, recycled space opera found in most sci-fi novels today. You’ll remember This Is Not A Game afterwards, for its distinct storyline, for being unlike anything else you’ve read. For being special. A rabbit hole, both deep and dark, leading to a dazzling wonderland, where a game imitates life. And life imitates a game.
I may be a militant nun, but at least I'm not a girly militant nun!
And, to cap off a lovely day, over at authors-books.com, we find the following:
So Walter Jon Williams’ This Is Not A Game lies. It is a game. A hell of a game, a fascinating mystery, and intriguing social commentary. Where every reader is a winner, no matter what alternate reality you choose to call home.
It's probably time for you all to buy new copies, so you can track down the truth behind this lying militant non-girly nun rumor!

Labels: ,

12 Comments:

Blogger Ralf the Dog said...

I guess that the pink cover with all of the frills is out for the paperback version. I told you it was a bad idea.

10:41 PM  
Blogger Pumphouse said...

Anybody know where a signed copy might be available on the web? I apparently missed my chance at Mysterious Galaxy and Powells.

8:03 AM  
Blogger Ralf the Dog said...

Pumphouse, I don't think I can help you with an authentic signed copy. If you were interested in something less than authentic I think I might help. For a bit of extra cash under the table I could include something like,

"With my eternal gratitude for your advice and teaching. I could not be half the author I am without your help."

What ever you do, do not tell Walter. He gets quite upset when I fake his signature.

12:58 PM  
Blogger dubjay said...

Pumphouse, email me offlist and I'll see what I can do about getting your book signed.

11:04 PM  
Blogger Charlie Stross said...

Can't buy it.

(I'm on the road, at my baggage limit. I'd buy the ebook, but Fictionwise have tagged it as "geographically restricted" and won't sell it to me -- I've got a UK credit card. Bah, humbug.)

12:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The One-Breasted Bookshop goofed and my order was mislaid. Had to ask for another copy. Darn. And I must have one, since I've been asked to translate it into French ("Ceci n'est pas un jeu").
Meanwhile, read and enjoyed KNIGHT'S MOVE.
Jean-Daniel

1:35 PM  
Blogger Ralf the Dog said...

I am afraid to ask, but are you THE Jean Daniel? The one involved with Kennedy and Castro?

If this is an invasion of privacy, Please ignore.

3:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

To Ralph the Dog: no, I'm not the Jean (first name) Daniel (family name) (I suppose you mean the writer and editor of LE NOUVEL OBSERVATEUR).
I'm more modestly Jean-Daniel (first name(s)) Breque (family name), a professionnal translator (of two WJ Williams novels, among others).
Best,
JDB

11:23 PM  
Blogger Ralf the Dog said...

Cool. I was going to be very impressed that you were working at that age. I have an aunt who is in her 90s. She is trying to form the Senior Mixed Martial Arts League. Most people over 90 just want to wash their dentures.

If I could ask, What does professional English/French translation cost? I plan to be in the market quite soon.

Thanks!

5:49 PM  
Blogger dubjay said...

For those whose heads may be spinning at this point, I probably should mention that Ralf is playfully referring to the French author of =Who Killed Kennedy?=

8:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

To Ralph the Dog: I'm impressed I'm still working at my age, too--though I'm only 55.
A translator gets 1% of the sales, with an advance which mostly depends of the length of the book; for =Implied Spaces=, my advance was 7,200 euros.
JDB

10:08 PM  
Blogger dubjay said...

7200 Euros? That's more than many writers would have been paid for writing the book in the first place!

8:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home