Monday, December 24, 2007

Happy Sir Isaac Newton's Birthday!

Here in New Mexico, we have many traditions for celebrating Sir Isaac Newton's Birthday on December 25th. We eat tamales, we stew up some posole, we light bonfires, we set little candles inside brown paper bags, and we decorate the graves of our ancestors with lights.

I'm not doing any of that this year, I must admit, but I expect I'll be having a good time anyway.

Whatever your traditions may be, Kathy and I wish you a joyous holiday season.

" Who, by vigor of mind almost divine, the motions and
figures of the planets, the paths of comets, and the tides of the seas first
demonstrated." ---Epitaph


1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

When I got up this morning, just before dawn, some Christmas lights were still on. The neighbors across the street had left the lights on their fence shining all night, and the next-door neighbor had left a tree with white lights shining in the front yard all night.

Nature also had her lights on -- a moon just past full was gleaming in the west just before it set.

I took an early morning walk by the bosque, and it was quite peaceful and quiet out. Cows watched me go by, a few lambs baa-ed in the distance, a few birds chirped, but otherwise the countryside was pretty quiet. I walked until I came to a field full of sandhill cranes, and then I decided to turn back so as not to disturb them.

The fact that the temperature was below freezing and I had walked far enough probably had something to do with it.

--Kathy

10:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home